Find a local boiler engineer

When you need someone to fix, fit or service your gas boiler (or other gas appliances), they’ll need to be Gas Safe registered – it’s the law.

Being on the Gas Safe Register proves that the engineer has passed an industry recognised accredited gas qualification and has a licence to work on gas in the UK, Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey.

If an engineer is carrying out gas work without being Gas Safe registered, they are working illegally and could put you at risk of gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.


Find a local Boiler Engineer


Boiler engineers near you - what you need to know

Whether you’re experiencing heating problems, need to have a brand-new boiler fitted, or are due your annual boiler gas safety check, a Gas Safe registered engineer will be able to help you with a range of things. These include:

  • Installing boilers and central heating systems
  • Regular maintenance and repair work, including annual gas safety checks
  • Finding and fixing gas leaks
  • General advice on gas safety and energy efficiency

Not all Gas Safe engineers will have the same industry qualifications. Before your engineer starts any gas work at your property it’s essential to make sure they’re qualified for the job they’re going to be doing. Take a look at our guide to understanding the Gas Safe ID card and be sure to check the front and back of your heating engineer’s card.

Gas Safe Register’s role is limited to gas safety. We have no control over other aspects of a Gas Safe registered business’s service, such as standard of workmanship, behaviour or pricing.

Here are our top tips to help you find a business that’s right for you:

  • Compare quotes from 2-3 different Gas Safe registered businesses (making sure they are all qualified for the work you need doing)
  • Check their reviews online
  • You could also ask the business to provide references from previous customers
  • Check that the business has public liability insurance
  • Confirm the job details in writing beforehand.

After your engineer’s visit - information for homeowners

Depending on the type of work your heating engineer has carried out, there may be some follow-up considerations for you to bear in mind. In England and Wales, if you’ve had a heat-producing appliance installed, such as a gas boiler, your engineer has a duty to comply with the Building Regulations and notify the local authority within 30 days of completing the work.

Once the installation has been notified a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate can be issued, which you’ll need should you decide to move home. If you’re a homeowner, it’s also up to you to make sure your engineer lets the local authority know about your new appliance. Here’s how to check or order a replacement certificate.

What to do in an emergency

If you can smell gas or you’ve been feeling unwell and experiencing headaches, nausea or dizziness, here’s what to do in a gas emergency.

If a heat-producing appliance has been improperly fitted or serviced then there’s a risk of gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning so it’s important to act quickly.

Related links