Understand the Gas Safe ID Card

Keep yourself gas safe by knowing what to look for on the Gas Safe ID card

All Gas Safe registered engineers will carry their Gas Safe ID card when they’re carrying out work. The ID contains important information about the engineer, who they are, their licence number, the business they work for, and the work they are qualified to carry out. 

When an engineer comes to your property, they may show you the Gas Safe ID card or simply have it on display. However, if that’s not the case don’t be afraid to ask to see it as the engineer should be happy for you to check it. 


The Gas Safe ID card has information on both the front and back so it’s important to check both sides. Here’s what the card contains on the front:

  • The engineer’s photo: This allows you to confirm that the engineer at your property is the person the card relates to.
  • The business they work for: So you can confirm they are from the company you contacted to carry out the work.
  • The start and expiry date: Gas Safe engineers have to renew their licence every 12 months. It’s important to check that they have a current licence. If the date has expired you should contact Gas Safe Register.
  • The licence number: Each registered engineer has their own unique licence number; this is at the top of the card and embossed across the middle as well.
  • Gas Safe security hologram: Official Gas Safe ID cards have a hologram with the Gas Safe logo on it.

Remember that by law all gas engineers must be Gas Safe registered if they are working in the UK, Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey. If they cannot show you a valid Gas Safe ID card then do not allow them to carry out work at your property and be sure to contact Gas Safe Register to inform us. 

Is my engineer Gas Safe?

Even if all the details on the front of the card are correct, you should still read the back of the card. Not all Gas Safe engineers can work with all types of gas appliances or carry out all types of gas work. 

On the back of the Gas Safe ID card will be a full list of qualifications that the engineer holds. These are divided into domestic and non-domestic categories and list the name of the work they are qualified to undertake along with the expiry date.

You should check that the engineer has the relevant qualification to carry out the work required, for example if they have come to service your boiler it should list ‘Gas Boiler’. Also check that the qualification has not expired. 

If you follow our gas engineer ID card checks, you’ll know that the engineer working in your property is fully qualified. If they don’t have a valid Gas Safe ID card or refuse to show you one, do not allow them to carry out the work. 

You can check an engineer is on the register by clicking below:


Check An Engineer


If you suspect a gas fitter is working illegally you can report them using our online form or contact us on 0800 408 5500.


Related Help Topics


Featured Content

Find & Check An Engineer

Looking to find a Gas Safe registered engineer? Find one in your local area or check their details.

What do the ID categories mean?

Find out about the Gas Safe ID card and what you need to look out for on the back of the card.

New Gas Appliance Installation

If you’re having a new gas appliance installed, here’s some good guidance on the process you’ll go through.