Discover local heating engineers near you

One of the most common ways we heat our homes is by using gas. You might use a gas boiler for your central heating system, or you might also use other gas heating appliances like a gas fire or stove heater.

When it comes to using gas to heat your home - whether you need an appliance fitted, fixed or serviced - it’s important to use a heating engineer who is Gas Safe registered.

Being on the Gas Safe Register proves that an engineer has passed an industry-recognised accredited qualification and is licensed to work with gas appliances across the UK, Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey.

It’s the law for any gas engineer to be Gas Safe registered. If they’re not, this means they’re working illegally which could put you at risk of gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.


Find a heating engineer near me


Heating engineers near you - what you need to know

A Gas Safe registered heating engineer can help you with a range of things, from fitting a new heat-producing appliance to solving heating problems, undertaking repair work or carrying out an annual gas safety check on your boiler.

Check it, don’t risk it

Not all Gas Safe registered engineers will have the same industry qualifications and it’s important to find a heating engineer who is qualified for the job they’re going to be doing for you. For example, if you need to have a gas boiler fitted or repaired then you’ll want to find a central heating engineer near you who has the relevant qualification.

Take a look at our guide to understanding the Gas Safe ID card and be sure to check the front and back of your heating engineer’s card before they start any gas work in your home.

Gas Safe Register’s role is limited to gas safety. We have no control over other aspects of a Gas Safe registered business’s service, such as standard of workmanship, behaviour or pricing.

Here are our top tips to help you find a business that’s right for you:

  • Compare quotes from 2-3 different Gas Safe registered businesses (making sure they are all qualified for the work you need doing)
  • Check reviews online
  • Consider asking the business to provide references from previous customers
  • Check that the business has public liability insurance
  • Confirm the job details in writing beforehand.


Find a gas heating engineer near me


After your engineer’s visit - information for homeowners

Depending on the type of work your heating engineer has carried out, there may be some follow-up considerations to bear in mind. In England and Wales, if you’ve had a heat-producing appliance installed, your engineer has a duty to comply with the Building Regulations and notify the local authority within 30 days of completing the work.

Once the installation has been notified a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate can be issued, which you’ll need should you decide to move home.

If you’re a homeowner, it’s up to you to make sure your engineer lets the local authority know about your new appliance. Here’s how to check whether your appliance has been notified.

Order a replacement certificate


What to do in an emergency

If you can smell gas or you’ve been feeling unwell and experiencing headaches, nausea or dizziness, here’s what to do in a gas emergency.

There’s a risk of gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning if a heat-producing appliance has been improperly fitted or serviced, so it’s important to act fast.

If you’d like to find out more about heat producing appliances in your home, our appliance guides linked below may just have the answers: