Who we are
- Gas Safe Register is the only official gas registration body of gas businesses and engineers in the United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Guernsey.
- By law all gas businesses must be on the Gas Safe Register.
- A gas engineer can only be aligned to a registered business and be issued with a license to undertake gas work on behalf of a registered business if they hold a valid and current qualification. This evidence of competence is obtained by every engineer through a recognised route of training and assessment (much as the DVLA issues driving licences to those who have demonstrated their competence by passing a driving test).
- The checks completed before a registration can be approved ensure those applying for and holding registration are appropriately qualified.
- The Register is not a membership body or trade association.
- The Register (and all services associated with it) is operated on behalf of the relevant Health and Safety Authority for each region – ie the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Health and Safety Executive Northern Ireland (HSENI).
- Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI as the only gas registration body in Great Britain and Isle of Man on 1 April 2009 and in Northern Ireland and Guernsey on 1 April 2010.
What we do
- We maintain the Gas Safe Register to ensure only those qualified engineers are licensed to legally work on gas.
- We regularly monitor inspections of registered engineers to ensure they continue to apply their competence.
- We investigate gas safety complaints made by gas consumers.
- We apply a strict set of Rules of Registration which includes a robust sanctions policy where sufficient evidence supports that unsafe gas work or any breach of the Rules of Registration has occurred.
- We investigate reports of illegal gas work. The information we gather is passed on to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), who have the power to take enforcement action. To view these prosecutions please visit the HSE website.
- We develop promotional campaigns to improve awareness and understanding of the risks of unsafe and illegal gas work, and of other dangers such as carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
- We co-ordinate the annual industry-wide Gas Safety Week
Gas Safe Register is operated by Capita Gas Registration and Ancillary Services (CGRAS) Limited, a division of Capita Plc.