Path To Gas Safe Registration

How to get Gas Safe

The law requires that all gas engineers in the UK, Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey are on the Gas Safe Register. We hold the list of all registered gas businesses and issue engineers with a licence to work on gas. If you want to know how to become a Gas Safe registered engineer, we’ve got all the information you need.

How to become a Gas Safe engineer

To get Gas Safe registered, you’ll need to apply with us - but there are a few things to tick off the checklist first.

The Gas Safe Register is all about ensuring the safety of the public, so before you can register you’ll need relevant qualifications and evidence of your competence in working with gas. Evidence of gas safety competence is awarded through the process of proving to a recognised awarding body that you have the appropriate level of knowledge, understanding and practical skills to undertake gas work safely. All evidence of gas safety competence is sent by the awarding body electronically directly to Gas Safe Register and is only recognised once received from the awarding body concerned.

A list of suitable evidence of gas safety competence recognised by Gas Safe Register can be found at

Remember that qualifications in different areas of gas work correspond with different Gas Safe qualification codes. Once you’ve successfully registered with us, you’ll receive your Gas Safe ID card showing the categories of gas jobs you’re qualified to do.

Training to become Gas Safe

You might require training before you can obtain your relevant qualifications or evidence of competence. Whether you’re just starting out or you need to refresh your skills and knowledge, it’s crucial that the training programme you choose is industry recognised and meets Gas Safe requirements.

An up to date list of recognised training programmes and qualifications is available on the EU Skills website. It’s also worth noting that you’ll need to successfully complete any training programme before you can move forward to assessment.

How to get Gas Safe registered

You’ve obtained your relevant qualifications and evidence of competence, and now you want to know how to become Gas Safe registered. The hard part’s over; once Gas Safe Register receive your qualifications from the awarding body, you can simply apply for registration.

We’ll give you a probationary registration status, so you’ll be fully registered and able to do gas work, but there are certain requirements you’ll need to adhere to at first.

Here’s what you need to know:

  • Probation lasts three months.
  • You’ll need to keep records and be able to show examples of your gas work and inform us of all finished work; details can be found in Section 3b of the Rules of Registration.
  • If you are unable to provide evidence of gas work within your probationary period the business will be suspended - you should not register until you intend to carry out carry out gas work.
  • We’ll consider any history you have on the registration scheme and use that to inform your progress.
  • Businesses move out of probationary registration once they’ve demonstrated their competence through our inspection process.
  • We reserve the right to extend the probationary period if gas work notified to us and inspected by us is not of a satisfactory standard or representative of the categories of registration held by your business or engineers. Should this be the case, we’ll support you to help you complete the probationary period.

Once you’re Gas Safe registered, it lasts 12 months - so you’ll need to renew one year from the date you registered. All the current fees for registration and renewals are available on our website.