We use cookies to give you the best experience and to help improve our website.
Find out more about how we use cookies
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, some engineers have had their qualifications temporarily extended whilst lockdown and social distancing measures are in place. To avoid any confusion, please use the ‘Check A Business’ function to ensure the business and engineer you’re employing is qualified and registered.

All Gas Safe registered engineers carry a Gas Safe ID card. Don’t ever be afraid to ask to see it when they arrive at your property to carry out gas work – and remember to check the front and back of the card. 

Watch this video to find out more. 


Details to check on the front of the card: 

  • The engineer's photo
  • The start and expiry dates
  • The licence number
  • The security hologram
  • The engineer is from the business you employed

Details to check on the back of the card: 

  • The engineer is qualified to carry out the gas job you’ve employed them to do
  • Their qualifications are up-to-date


Check an Engineer here


For more information on specific qualifications, please refer to our guide to the back of Gas Safe ID cardIf you suspect a gas fitter is working illegally you can report them using our online form or contact us on 0800 408 5500.