Take a look at our most frequently asked questions. If your enquiry is not listed, please use the menu tabs or search bar above for more information about the subject you’re looking for.
Gas Safe Register will investigate complaints that fall within its remit and authority to ensure that any work carried out by the registered engineer/business satisfies the rules of registration and meets appropriate installation standards. Gas Safe Register will provide you with a written report of the findings. In order to make this process as effective as possible and get the work corrected efficiently, the registered business/engineer concerned will be asked to attend the investigation inspection (subject to your consent).
Where work is identifed which falls below the expected standards of registration Gas Safe Register will issue formal notice to the business/engineer to correct the issues that have been identified which are attributable to the business carrying out the work within an expected timescale. You will be made aware of this also.
Failure to correct any installation/defects attributable to the business concerned will attract sanctions against the registered business/engineer in accordance with Gas Safe Register Sanctions Policy.
If you have had gas work done in the last six months and would like it to be considered for inspection, please complete the safety inspections request form online or contact Customer Services on 0800 408 5500.
Unfortunately, Gas Safe Register are unable to inspect every installation nominated, but if you've been selected for an inspection you will be contacted within six months of the installation date to arrange a convenient date and time. The business who completed the work will also be invited to attend.
This is the responsibility of your registered engineer and can be done by them either online or by telephone.
Once you have received your certificate keep this safe as you may need it should you decide to move home. Find out more information on Building Regulations.
You can check online to see if your engineer has notified your gas installation. If the work has not been notified you will need to contact your registered business/engineer and ask them to notify the work to ensure compliance with the Building Regulations. Once the work has been notified the certificate will be posted out within 10 working days. If the work has been notified and you have not received your certificate within 10 working days of the notification being made, you can call Customer Services on 0800 408 5500. Find out more information on Building Regulations.
• make sure that the management contract between the property owner and yourselves clearly defines who is responsible for making arrangements for maintenance and safety checks on gas equipment and for keeping associated records;
• ensure gas appliances and flues are safety checked within the legal timescales required;
• ensure appliances, flues and pipework are maintained in a safe condition and if defects are found, take appropriate action to ensure gas safety;
• keep records that are required by law;
• make sure that maintenance and safety checks on gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants use are only carried out by a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.