Gas Safety Record

If an engineer undertakes gas work at your property, it’s always helpful to know exactly what documentation you can expect to receive from them. Here’s everything you need to know.


The following is intended for Landlords of properties.

We are keen to highlight that, as set out below,  Landlords are responsible for their properties and have a duty of care to their tenants. This means that Registered Gas Engineers are not responsible for Landlords Gas Safety Checks being in place or up to date.

What is a Gas Safety Record?

A Gas Safety Record is the documentation that may be given to you by a gas engineer after they’ve done gas work at your property. The documentation provided will often depend on the type of work they’ve undertaken - be it a service or a safety check.

While all gas engineers are required by law to be on the Gas Safe Register, it’s not a legal requirement for them to provide Gas Safety Record documentation after they visit you. There’s one exception, and that’s if you’re a landlord.

Landlord Gas Safety Record: the low down

As a landlord letting a residential property, you have a legal duty to ensure it’s safe for your tenants. This means you’re required by law to get a Gas Safe registered engineer to do an annual gas safety check on all gas appliances - and it’s the results of these checks that are recorded in your Landlord Gas Safety Record. You’ll receive a copy, and you’ll need to provide a record of this check to your tenants.

In your record, you should find:

  • A description and location of each appliance or flue that was checked
  • The name, registration number and signature of the engineer who made the checks
  • The date the checks were carried out
  • The address of the property where the appliances or flues are installed
  • Your name and address (or an agent’s where applicable)
  • Information on any safety defects and actions needed or taken to fix them
  • The results of all operational safety checks carried out on the appliances

The gas pipework in your rented property must also be kept in a safe condition. Installation pipework is not covered by the annual gas safety check, but both we and the HSE recommend that when you request a safety check, you ask your Gas Safe registered engineer to:

  • Test for tightness on the whole gas system, including installation pipework
  • Visually examine the pipework (so far as is reasonably practicable)

Want to see an example of what the Landlord Gas Safety Record should look like? Download it here.

Whether you’re a landlord or a tenant, you’ll find lots more information on gas safety in rented accommodation in our Renting A Property section.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Advice for landlords ​

The HSE have provided specific guidance for landlords, to help them with understanding their responsibilities during the pandemic.


I’m not a landlord - what documentation can I expect?

If you’re not a landlord, that doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t receive any documentation from your Gas Safe registered engineer. In fact, it’s considered good practice for your engineer to provide you with some form of record, even if it’s not as detailed as a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record.

It’s a great idea to get in touch with your Gas Safe registered engineer before they visit your property, so you’ll know exactly what to expect from them.



Feature Content

New Gas Appliance Installation

If you’re having a new gas appliance installed, here’s some good guidance on the process you’ll go through.