Don't be tempted to DIY on your gas appliances this Bank Holiday

  • Over a quarter of householders plan DIY work
  • Gas work needs to be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer

While Britons enjoy a flurry of spring Bank holidays, more than a quarter (28%) of households are planning to carry out some home improvements. Gas Safe Register is reminding people that gas work should only be carried out by Gas Safe registered engineers.

Jonathan Samuel, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said:

“Bank holidays are a popular time for people to carry out home improvements, making the most of the long weekend. While most plan on picking up a paintbrush to spruce up their walls, we want to remind people that gas work should be left to the professionals. Trust the Triangle this May Day bank holiday break, and only use registered engineers who are legally qualified to work on your gas appliances.”

This May Day bank holiday, more than one in 10 (11%) households are planning on carrying out home improvements. The most popular DIY tasks on people’s to do lists are plastering (64%), tiling (61%) and putting up shelving (52%).

To keep you and your family safe, follow Gas Safe Register’s top tips:

  • Only employ a legal Gas Safe registered engineer when having gas work carried out in your home. You can find a registered engineer in your area by using our Find An Engineer facility or calling us on 0800 408 5500.
  • Every registered gas engineer carries a Gas Safe ID card. Always ask to see the card and check their unique licence number with Gas Safe Register. The back of the card will also show which gas appliances they are qualified to work on.
  • If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.
  • If you suspect that someone is an illegal fitter or are worried about gas work carried out in your home, please contact Gas Safe Register.

Gas Safe Register is the only official list of gas engineers who are registered to work safely and legally on boilers, cookers, fires and all other gas appliances.

By law all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. Trust the Triangle and always use a Gas Safe registered engineer for any gas work.