We use cookies to give you the best experience and to help improve our website.
Find out more about how we use cookies

The path to Gas Safe registration

What are the qualification requirements?

Before applying to register you will need relevant qualifications and evidence of your competence. Evidence of competence is awarded through the process of proving to the awarding body that there is the necessary experience to take the assessment. Once an engineer has the required evidence this information will be passed to Gas Safe Register.

Training for gas work (see IGEM/IG/1 Standards of training in gas work)

If you require training to gain or refresh your gas work skills, knowledge and understanding prior to obtaining relevant qualification(s), it is important to understand that only training programmes which have been industry recognised and successfully completed, will allow you to access assessment.

The current list of recognised training programmes and qualifications can be downloaded at: https://www.euskills.co.uk/downloads/training-provider-directory/

Gas Safe Register only accepts the following evidence of competence in gas safety:

The Nationally Accredited Certification Scheme is generally referred to as ACS. Its primary function is to ensure that individuals are assessed against a set of national criteria based on current standards, best working practice and technology.

ACS is only available for experienced gas engineers. It will allow you to gain certificates of competence that are accepted by Gas Safe Register.

If you have no industry experience you may need to follow a more formal qualification: Scottish/National Vocational Qualification (S/NVQ). This covers the City and Guilds awarded 6012 range of Gas Services NVQs for:

  • The installation and maintenance of natural gas at levels 2 and 3
  • Appliance pathway routes
  • Emergency service operations

These have been aligned in matters of gas safety to ACS.

Qualification Credit Framework (QCF)
The Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) also awards an ACS aligned qualification. These are accredited vocational qualifications for a range of gas services:

  • The installation and maintenance of domestic appliances
  • Both natural gas and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)
  • Meter installers

Please note: If you have previously been registered and your qualifications are more than five years old, you will need to retrain in the areas of gas work you intend to carry out.

The assessment strategy has been produced by Energy and Utility Skills (EU Skills) the Sector Skills Council (SSC) for the gas industry. For details of assessment centres, qualifications or training packages please visit the EU skills website or telephone 0840 077 9922.

Probationary Registration

When you apply for registration you will be given a probationary registration status. The means your business is fully registered and able to carry out gas work, but you must adhere to the requirements laid out below for the probationary period.

What you need to know about the probationary period:

  • Probation lasts three months
  • You must keep records of your gas work and notify all completed work to us – there will be no charge for this. The details of what we require can be found in Section 3b of the Rules of Registration
  • We will consider any history you already have on the registration scheme and use that to inform your progress through the probationary period.
  • Businesses will move out of probationary registration only when they have demonstrated their competence through our inspection process
  • We reserve the right to extend the probationary period if the gas work notified to us and inspected by us is not of a satisfactory standard or representative of the categories of registration held by your business or engineers. Should this happen we will give you support to help you complete the probationary period.

Your registration is valid for 12 months and you will need to renew one year from the date you registered. All the current fees for registration and renewals are available on our website.